[ubuntu-art] Metacity Button Order Changed

magneze jeff at magneze.com
Mon Mar 8 21:33:07 GMT 2010

I would like to understand the rational behind the change too.

It appears to violate the usability quality of compatibility because users
of other systems (even previous version of Ubuntu) cannot use their
previously learnt experience.

Additionally it violates the quality of coherence because the close buttons
are on the right in Firefox (and probably other apps too). If you look at
Windows and versions of Ubuntu previous to this change close is on the right
always, if you look at OSX close is always on the left. We now have
confusion.

We have also lost the menu that used to be on the left and near other menus.
Instead we have window control buttons near the menus, including a button to
close the entire application. Now, when using the menus, a slip off the Edit
or View menu in Firefox closes the entire application.

Overall, the visual changes are welcome and look great, but this change
seems out of place unless there is some compelling usability data behind it.