[ubuntu-art] Beautiful awesomeness ---stupidity?---

Vishnoo drkvi-a at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 8 19:26:51 GMT 2010

On Mon, 2010-03-08 at 19:03 +0100, Milan Bouchet-Valat wrote:
> > On 7 March 2010 22:56, Alex Launi <alex.launi at gmail.com> wrote:
> > >  I don't think that new users will crap their pants over the window controls
> > > being on the left, I think we've all seen OSX before.
> I'm pretty sure this whole issue is going to become a flamewar until
> Lucid is released, if not beyond - sorry for that. But I find it really
> bad that in an open project like Ubuntu such visible changes are not
> discussed and elaborated publicly, instead of being released late in the
> cycle with any explanation.
>
> Last cycle Canonical pushed the "Ubuntu Software Store", whose name
> prompted heated debates, before changing its name to something less
> commercial. Now it seems we're going to suffer from those internal
> fights again, and I'm sure in the end Lucid will ship with something
> more sensible. Couldn't this have been discussed calmly in the desktop
> list before any choices are made? Couldn't the ubuntu-art list have been
> made part of the process, instead of letting them know when everything
> is over [1]? These times, I too often feel like volunteers are
> second-class citizens in Ubuntu.
>
> I won't comment on the design choices themselves, because what I don't
> like in them is merely IMO a consequence of the lack of prior
> concertation. Just a sarcastic comment about the fact that with the
> upcoming switch to GNOME Shell, the left corner of windows will be just
> next to the Activities hot corner - better be aware of it, reverting the
> window buttons order for 10.10 would be quite ridiculous...

WOW! Interesting point!
I was just expecting flamewar/backlash about this change to fizzle out
like the update-notifier and anyone who is irritated would change it
back .

But keeping gnome-shell in mind, this change truly becomes difficult to
understand.

Anyways , there is a bug[1] regarding this change, i dont think anyone
has mentioned this before. I guess no one thought it through ;)

[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/532633

--
Cheers,
Vish