[ubuntu-art] Metacity Button Order Changed

Chris Tooley euxneks at gmail.com
Fri Mar 5 21:29:28 GMT 2010

On Fri, Mar 5, 2010 at 12:48 PM, SorinN <nemes.sorin at gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes. What was to happen was happened :(
>
> Very much amateurism on this change (right corner to left corner for
> close / minimize / maximize buttons). Yes amateurism - you hear well
> my friends. A good Human Machine Interaction engineer will not do such
> a move. There are laws and principles. Some Unix friends told me that
> they have a word  "do not destroy well established things". I bet they
> know what they say they are Oracle engineers with almost 30 years of
> Unix / Linux behind.
>
> 2 main reasons which prove the amateurism :
>
> - this move will broke what was good and acknowledged by 90 %  or more PC users
> as  `de facto ` (and I don't hear complains about that).
>
> - the left side position of those buttons will agglomerate
> (unnecessary) the space where a normal user search for menu bar and
> for 1'st level functions.
> Those buttons has a secondary scope and are rarely used, the right
> corner was a good place for this group according usability standards
> (the fact that MAC use those buttons on the left means nothing they
> are maybe 5%, rest of the world just close their windows from the
> right corner).
>
> Indeed, everyone know that Gnome need some facial changes but hey -
> why they start to kill the piano ? ..just because ?
>
> Well it's clear that the team behind that move does not contain
> professionals. If this was just a proposal - there's no excuse for
> that. A single word >> amateurism.
>
> Shuttleworth deserver better peoples because his movement is a crucial
> movement of the modern history. I think he believe in peoples too much
> and that's that's the point where some peoples can see a profit. Too
> bad.

I think we need to keep in mind that they have just released a small
amount of information about the new shift in look, and I would liken
this to a beta release.  I think what they're doing is testing the
waters for certain ideas to see what the reaction of the users will
be.

Personally, it doesn't matter to me which side the controls are on,
but just due to the outcry of detractors I agree that it would be
harmful if they didn't change it back to the right hand side of the
window.

Interestingly related:
http://blog.daviey.com/blogroll/anything-but-the-buttons.html

-Chris