[ubuntu-art] Wallpaper Aspect Ratio

j_baer baerjj at gmail.com
Fri Mar 5 17:58:24 GMT 2010

Thorsten Wilms wrote:

> On Fri, 2010-03-05 at 07:29 -0500, John Baer wrote:
>> All,
>>
>> Some time back a discussion occurred about the correct demension for
>> wallpaper submission and the number 2650x1920 was offered as a good
>> middle ground.
>
> That's what I proposed, under the assumption that it is not feasible to
> create wallpapers custom tailored to each aspect ratio.
>
> The GIMP and Inkscape templates show how the ratios relate to each
> other:
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Artwork/Documentation/Backgrounds#Templates
>

>> I am finding a single demension inadequate for wall papers with images
>> which depend upon the aspect ratio to display correctly (i.e. circles
>> & many more).
>
> Are you aware of how Style: Zoom in the Appearance Preferences,
> Background tab works?
>

> Something that would help without requiring several versions of a
> background, would be the ability to have offsets for the area of the
> background that is shown on a screen that has another aspect ratio.
>

> --
> Thorsten Wilms
>
> thorwil's design for free software:
> http://thorwil.wordpress.com/

My experience has been the "zoom" function doesn't always fix the problem.
In some ways how can it? The image can be cropped, scaled down, or scaled up
but not changed.
Your GIMP & Inkscape templates highlight the issue clearly but I don't want
to be constrained to the least common denominator of image space.

I am not advocating creating a wallpaper for each image size, but a single
wallpaper for each aspect ratio or at least the most common ones.

I believe an image scaled to 1920x1200 will “zoom” to the other 8:5
dimensions correctly (i.e. 1680x1050, 1440x900, 1280x800).

Assuming this adds value, will Gnome support it?

John