[ubuntu-art] Community Themes Too Hard To Find

Andrew SB a.starr.b at gmail.com
Thu Mar 4 02:00:36 GMT 2010

On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 8:20 PM, John Baer <baerjj at gmail.com> wrote:
> As I installed community themes and I found the only way to locate the
> package was through Syntapic search.
>
> As Software Center becomes the desired software installation tool is
> there a way to add this package?

In Karmic software-center only presented GUI applications (with a few
special exceptions). This is no longer the case in Lucid. Searching
for "community themes" in software-center will now show the desired
package. Though if you just search for themes, it is buried deeply and
applications are still featured more prominently.

See this blueprint for reference:
https://blueprints.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/foundations-lucid-non-applications-in-software-center

I'm not sure how we can make it more findable. One idea would be to
ask the desktop-team to consider placing it in the featured section.
Although, the current criteria states that featured packages should be
applications. You might want to send an email asking about this to the
desktop list.

- Andrew SB