[ubuntu-art] Bland welcome screen...

Kenneth Wimer kwwii at ubuntu.com
Thu Jun 17 21:55:00 BST 2010

On Thursday, June 17, 2010 06:38:56 pm Сергей wrote:
> > Actually I use GDM for logging in but the boot experience is simply a
> > black screen until GDM appears (fresh install; didn't touch any config
> > files).
> >
> > I was hopping for a smooth boot experience for 10.04 but it seems that at
> > least my machine still does not play nice with plymouth.
>
> Plymouth can be shown for a very short time because most boot time is
> spent on kernel init and plumbing, and Plymouth works only during
> X.org and GDM init, which take 1-2 seconds. You can have a look at
> bootcharts at http://people.canonical.com/~scott/daily-bootcharts/,
> look for plymouth (not plymouthd) there.
>
> IMO, plain login screen is a real problem for look and feel of Ubuntu,
> but changing it goes far beyond artwork. Karmic GDM mockups
> (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Artwork/Incoming/Karmic/Boot/Demo/) looked
> great, but what we got in the end?

Facts are, if you don't have a graphic card which KMS supports you are going
to have a lessened graphical experience. I have one machine which looks
particularly bad but after much effort I can only place the blame on the
graphics card (switching it with another makes the problems go away).

GDM is another matter which the design team still needs to tackle. We've
concentrated our efforts in other areas until now but we will eventually get
there :-)

--
Ken