[ubuntu-art] alpha/beta wallpaper

Nicolas Delvaux nicolas.delvaux at gmx.com
Mon Jan 18 17:01:49 GMT 2010

Hi everyone,

I'm just a user/small contributor with no skills for artwork, but I
would like to summit you my idea.

I read this ML for more than a year now and I noticed that you already
talked about a special wallpaper for each development cycle (until the
default/release artwork is define).
Everyone seemed to agree on the idea (a visual shift from the current
release, define a clear identity...)

The problem we saw is that it takes too long to elaborate and to agree
on one wallpaper (just have a look at Jaunty alpha background page !
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Artwork/Incoming/Jaunty/AlphaBackgrounds )
So it ends to be too late and many contributions are forgotten. It's a
shame and a waste of time.

So we have to choose an artwork/picture that ALREADY exist (so we just
have to agree on the one we ship and then hack on something more
important)
It mays represent the code name (Lynx...)
It has to be free (as in freedom).

Why not using a picture from Wikimedia Commons ?

Some "background capable" examples for Lucid:
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Lynx_kitten.jpg
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Darica_Vashak_01155.jpg
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Lince_en_Madrid.jpg
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Lynx_Nationalpark_Bayerischer_Wald_05.jpg
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Lynx_Nationalpark_Bayerischer_Wald_03.jpg

(of course there is more, but some aren't in the "lynx" category and I
said it's just a sample ;))

Advantages: promote a great free project, high quality content, no (or
minimal) creating process for Ubuntu-art
Disadvantages: mostly pictures (is this really a problem, now that
Karmic ship with some pictures by default ?)

So, what do you think ?

(sorry for my English)

--
Nicolas Delvaux <nicolas.delvaux at gmx.com>