[ubuntu-art] .doc, .xls, etc icons in Humanity Update

François Degrave fdegrave at gmail.com
Thu Feb 18 08:58:13 GMT 2010

Thorsten Wilms a écrit :
> On Thu, 2010-02-18 at 09:13 +0100, François Degrave wrote:
>

>> I'd rather think this is because Adobe has nothing to do with pdf
>> anymore; I still think that no reference to an app should appear in a
>> file icon if this app is not installed and meant to deal with this kind
>> of files. I truly think that a file icon containing a "Adobe" logo means
>> to the user: if I open this, it will be launched in Adobe Reader.
>>

> I agree. However, it shouldn't be about what is installed. I'd say: a
> mime-type icon should, or rather may, only include or refer to an
> application icon, if that application is the only one that deals with
> that file-type (ability to open files in a text-editor or hex-viewer or
> similar doesn't count, of course).

I totally agree. That means doc, xls, ppt files should not refer to Ms
Office apps, neither should pdf refer to Adobe or psd to Photoshop -- ok
the last one is the only that can entirely deal with psd, however some
image viewers can render psd nicely and The Gimp can edit them to a
certain extend (plus it seems strange to have a reference in Linux to an
app that is not even available on this platform).