[ubuntu-art] Alternate Natty Wallpaper Proposal

John Baer baerjj at gmail.com
Mon Dec 13 16:27:24 GMT 2010

On Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 7:42 AM, Vishnoo <vish at ubuntu.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 2010-12-12 at 11:44 -0500, John Baer wrote:
> > Hello Everyone,
> >
> > I added to the project board a very exciting proposal for the team.
> > The proposal is to create graphic designs to be used as alternate
> > Ubuntu wallpapers for the Natty release. It is important to remember
> > this is a proposal which means this effort may or may not be endorsed
> > by the Canonical Design Team.
>
> Hi,
> Interesting suggestions there.

Thanks!

> However, It is not clear what this "alternative" wallpaper task is meant
> for?
>
> Is this aimed as an addition to default wallpaper?
> And to be included in the "ubuntu-wallpapers" package?
>
> How different is it from the flickr submissions from the community:
> <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuFreeCultureShowcase> (This page is a bit
> outdated, there is another one somewhere out there.)

AFAIK in the past all of the alternate wallpapers come  as photo's from the
Ubuntu Flickr group noted above. My proposal is to open this up for
illustrations.

> Or is it for a replacement of the default wallpapers done by Canonical
> team?

I am unaware of Canonical's desire. As noted above this
"UbuntuFreeCultureShowcase" is still closed.

> > The "spec" is rooted with elements from the marketing team and spans
> > from the uninformed to the inspired user. The metaphors and
> > associations follow the same track.
> >
> > IMO if we do this right this will be a big win for the team and
> > probably our only chance to contribute wallpapers to the Ubuntu Natty
> > release.
>
> Nope, as i mentioned above the additional wallpapers are from community
> submissions.

I'm unclear of your message here?

> If it is similar, what was missing? Or have you not noticed that one
> earlier?
> We need to make sure to collaborate and use our resources wisely.
> >
> > /
> > https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Artwork/Specs/0010_Alternate_Natty_Wallpapers
>
> Before adding tasks to the team's task board, we need to make sure it is
> team's task.
> Otherwise, anyone can just keep adding tasks there, irrespective of the
> task being a feasible one or not. (Someone can just drop by and add a
> task to replace default light theme with Equinox, we need to avoid
> these)
> Also, we would have skipped spec numbers, etc.
>
> For now, I'v moved the task to:
> <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/JohnBaer/Specs/Alternate_Natty_Wallpapers>

I have a problem with this. The desire is to discuss the idea and I believe
I clearly stated this is a proposal and defined what that meant. If the Team
decides this is a bad idea and we should not go there I will certainly
support it.

However, I was not aware of your authority to move content around to meet
your personal needs. If I am wrong please help me understand as I did not
know posting to the wiki required your approval.

Once it is clear what this task is about, we can add it to the board.

Again, who will make that decision and how will it be executed ( poll ) ?

> This is similar to how you updated the Artwork Main page. (Where you
> proposed a suggestion in your namespace and then updated the main page.)

Updating the Artwork Team Main page was not a proposal.

In the future show some respect and check with the author who invested time
and initiative before taking action. I will be putting it back as before and
I certainly welcome additional constructive dialog. IMO this is a great
proposal.

Respectfully,

John