[ubuntu-art] Re ady for Xubuntu Wallpaper Submissions

Simon Steinbeiß simon.steinbeiss at elfenbeinturm.at
Thu Dec 9 23:00:49 GMT 2010

On Mon, 29 Nov 2010 09:45:44 +0100
Thorsten Wilms <t_w_ at freenet.de> wrote:

> From
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Artwork/Specs/0007_Xubuntu_Natty_Wallpaper :
>
> "The Xubuntu palette has been completely blue, so far.
>
> A monotone color scheme as such sends a message of uniformity,
> stableness and eventually even shyness, indecision and paranoia. It does
> not speak of energy, movement, diversity ...
>
> The wallpaper will have to go well with the panels, windows and icons
> (as far as they appear on the desktop). Its use of color has to support
> the impression of lightness and performance, without becoming a
> distraction in day-to-day use. Aside of this, there is no predefined,
> required palette for the wallpaper."

Hi everyone,
I'm currently working on the theme for Natty (links and some info to be found here: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Xubuntu/Artwork/Natty). Thorsten and Charlie pointed me to the ongoing discussion here, so I thought I'd add my 2cents.

First I think that it would be helpful to have some palette, even if only for inspiration. I have worked on the palette for greybird for some time, I wouldn't say it's written in stone, but I don't think I'd like to change it drastically. Up to now I've only gotten very little specific feedback, so that would be one thing I'd appreciate. Please be as specific as you can be, stuff like "it looks dull" isn't very helpful/constructive criticism :)

The icon theme I'm currently working on (Faenza-xfce) is just a contender for the well-tested elementary theme we had for the last few cycles. So maybe don't focus too much on a specific icon theme when designing the wallpaper (or at least take into account that it could be either of the two themes).

Whilst I agree that the wallpaper doesn't have to be blue, I'd like to mention that currently the theme (greybird) - even though mainly grey-ish and more conservative-looking than the previous bluebird - has blue highlights.

That's it for now from my side for now,
Simon

PS: Here's a screenshot for the picture I currently use as a backdrop, just to show that the theme works very well with a not-totally-blue wallpaper :)
http://interfacelift.com/wallpaper_beta/details/2380/the_beach.html