[ubuntu-art] Layout Examples for Book on Open Soure Publishing

Thorsten Wilms t_w_ at freenet.de
Wed Dec 8 09:59:20 GMT 2010

On Tue, 2010-12-07 at 13:45 -0700, Rob Oakes wrote:

>  http://blog.oak-tree.us/index.php/2010/09/01/awesome-examples.)

What you write about examples in books and quality issues with many
free-software related offerings resonates with me.

Free Software could do with more and more skilled design and artwork
contributors. The path into free software development seems to be much
clearer.

>  I wanted to see if there are examples of promotional materials,
>  newsletters, posters, or templates that might be appropriate to
>  include in the book from the Ubuntu project?

Perhaps
http://www.behance.net/gallery/Getting-Started-with-Ubuntu-10_04-Title-Page/588233
http://thorwil.wordpress.com/2010/08/01/ubuntu-chicago-loco-t-shirt/

>  Any example of graphic communication (regardless of source) would be
>  appropriate.  I am more  interested in inspiring and showing solid
>  design principles than  advertising for a particular product (even
>  something as wonderful as  open source).

I can't hand out the few more recent examples of my layout work due to
copyright and privacy concerns and the rest is just old and done with
Quark Xpress.

But have a look at the following. Might not be exactly what you're
after, but all qualifies at least for being done with Inkscape:
http://linuxaudio.org/files/music/1_front.png
http://linuxaudio.org/files/music/1_case.png
http://linuxaudio.org/files/music/1_label.png

http://thorwil.wordpress.com/2009/02/18/identica-freemusic-group/
http://thorwil.wordpress.com/2008/11/09/mudlet-2/
http://thorwil.wordpress.com/2008/11/02/a-window-for-wubi/
http://www.behance.net/gallery/Bad-Business/481607

SVG sources available.

In case illustrations done with GIMP are OK, too:
http://thorwil.wordpress.com/2010/03/09/design-in-collaborative-projects/

--
Thorsten Wilms

thorwil's design for free software: