[ubuntu-art] Wallpaper site

Thorsten Wilms t_w_ at freenet.de
Fri Oct 9 12:43:24 BST 2009

On Fri, 2009-10-09 at 12:04 +0100, Antonio Roberts wrote:
> I think it's a bit unfair to say nobody cares, as I'd like to see
> this.

I said: "It _seems_ like nobody else cares (or has time to care)".
So now after you spoke up, it no longer seems so ;p

> What I do think is that it's going a bit ahead of itself. At the
> moment I'm happy to use Flickr and, should the design team grow so
> large that a website is needed I'm sure then someone will fulfill that
> need.

How do you think that "someone" would start out?

Neither the wiki nor Flickr have all the features one would like to see.

The number of submissions was already too much for the wiki (not even
considering the 1700+ on Flickr).

Creating a shortlist and then a final selection on Flickr wasn't exactly
comfortable.

Flickr doesn't support large images for plain accounts. We on the other
hand *require* large images as wallpapers.

You can't search for CC licensing terms within a group's pool, you can
only either do a plain search in a pool, or an advanced search that
can't be limited to a pool.

You can't tag images that are not your own (or where you have explicit
permission from the author),

AFAICS, there are no tools to vote or compare selections.

However, there's a large user base on Flickr and I highly doubt we would
would see 1700+ submissions for one cycle on a custom site. A lot less
isn't a problem, if the remaining contain the right ones, though :)

--
Thorsten Wilms

thorwil's design for free software:
http://thorwil.wordpress.com/