[ubuntu-art] Default design note

SorinN nemes.sorin at gmail.com
Mon Oct 5 11:37:48 BST 2009

Jerry Casiano wrote:
"
I think you're kidding yourself if you think people who are happy with
XP will choose Ubuntu or any other OS over Windows 7.  Sounds like you
haven't checked 7 out.
"

I'm not kidding at all - I win my money providing design decisions - I
know how users react - I know what I said, I don't guess. I help
companies on their decisions regarding one design or another. Also I
don't speak about isolate cases, I speak about targets - for example
probably more than 90% from Ubuntu users (which was not Linux users
before) are XP users.

I was a happy XP user (or superuser). I was an upset Vista user and
finally a pretty happy win7 user too. I still don't see the relation -
Win7 is a better windows - ok with that but I implement Ubuntu
everywhere around me because I ...and the companies for I changed MS
OS to Ubuntu or Ubuntu Server, we see a long term value on the Linux
side. It's too complicated to explain you here why the companies think
in other way than you or a simply home user. They think big and they
take long range decisions when they do such kind of changes.

Also - I promoted linux where this make sense, but for my clients from
companies, I see that sense in almost every setup and they see that
too. The list with specific MS OS things is shorter day by day - you
can't find almost all drivers now on linux - but this is an other
discussion ...we can talk separately if you like not here.

At least as a final advice :  please read again and understand in
context. I talked about "peoples which will cross from XP to Ubuntu
not to win7", I don't say "all peoples will cross from XP to Ubuntu
NOT to win7". Take care about nuances.

2009/10/5 Jerry Casiano <jerrycasiano at gmail.com>:

> On Sun, Oct 4, 2009 at 12:43 PM, SorinN <nemes.sorin at gmail.com> wrote:

>> To gain a new level of perception which is needed for the large mass
>> (yep - peoples which will cross from XP to Ubuntu not to win7),
>> a whole new look - by default - it's a must.
>
> I think you're kidding yourself if you think people who are happy with XP
> will choose Ubuntu or any other OS over Windows 7.  Sounds like you haven't
> checked 7 out.
>
> I love Linux and promote it whenever it makes sense to, but the truth is
> there is only one small issue related to the way the new sound system in
> Windows 7 works that will stop me from picking up a copy, until there is a
> solution or workaround. And that is an issue that most users won't care
> about.

Nemes Ioan Sorin