[ubuntu-art] Flickr - What is the desire of this group?

Andrew rugby471 at googlemail.com
Wed Nov 18 18:19:11 GMT 2009

On Wed, 18 Nov 2009 09:54:58 -0800 (PST)
j_baer <baerjj at gmail.com> wrote:

> I use Flickr and for the most part I am happy with how it works. I discovered
> large images are cropped to 1024x768 and this may be a problem if we are
> going to use Flickr for wallpaper submissions (2650x1920).
>
> I assume this restriction is removed if you purchase a "pro" subscription.
> Although $24.95 is not a lot of money it raises all kinds of physiological
> questions about open source, free, community support, etc.
>
> Some may question why the wiki is not good enough.
>
> My question is the desired role of Flickr for the Ubuntu ArtTeam?
>
> :)

I think this is a very important point, I don't now whether this was overlooked, but this does restrict
entries, because of this size limit.

I think something like a DeviantArt group (if they exist? Inkscape used them for their splash screen
contests) should be set up alongside the Flickr group, so we don't lose the ability to quickly mark a photo
on flickr as suitable, but also don't lower the barrier of entry.

--
Andrew

Wednesday, 18th November 2009