[ubuntu-art] [Breathe]action icons redesign

daniel planas armangue daniplanas.a at gmail.com
Sat May 30 17:13:37 BST 2009

El sáb, 30-05-2009 a las 17:59 +0200, Thorsten Wilms escribió:
> On Sat, 2009-05-30 at 17:16 +0200, daniel planas armangue wrote:
> > I have heard some suggestions here and I've been designing some mockups
> > of what could be a correction in the action icons.
>
> So these are no longer meant to be translucent?
>
> You should apply a gradient to the outline and make it brighter on top.
>
> Instead of hard, shiny plastic with clear-cut reflection, I think you
> should aim for the look of a material that would be friendlier to the
> touch. For example
> - smooth plastic
> https://www.serviceideas.com/apprisenet/graphics/Products/ECALSBPMAT_BL.jpg
> - sandblasted glass (but still colored)
> http://i6.ebayimg.com/06/i/000/b2/43/0d77_1.JPG
> http://img.alibaba.com/photo/207462411/Sandblasted_Glass_Sandblasted_tempered_Glass_frosted_glass.jpg
> - Ceramic
> http://www.lakewoodconferences.com/direct/dbimage/50205449/Ceramic_Teacups.jpg
> - Wax
> http://www.gsmmonument.org/MakingAStatue/slide09a_DetailingWax.jpg
>
> In other cases, I would like to see wood, metal and paper preferred over
> plastic.
>
> Simply blurring/fading-in the reflection and reducing its alpha should
> do the trick to get away from the overdone shininess.
>
> But if you do want to keep the hard reflection, make the curve
> symmetrical, balanced or use no curve and make it horizontally straight.

very good ideas :), but very few apply. most of the transparent textures
are nice when materials are behind and other firendlier touch textures
are veri dificult apply correct with gliph icons ore small scale. :(

I think the second option is better than the first (because the third
was rejected because reflexion,  see cory sebastians consensus)

Daniel P