[ubuntu-art] [Breathe]action icons redesign

Thorsten Wilms t_w_ at freenet.de
Sat May 30 16:59:26 BST 2009

On Sat, 2009-05-30 at 17:16 +0200, daniel planas armangue wrote:
> I have heard some suggestions here and I've been designing some mockups
> of what could be a correction in the action icons.

So these are no longer meant to be translucent?

You should apply a gradient to the outline and make it brighter on top.

Instead of hard, shiny plastic with clear-cut reflection, I think you
should aim for the look of a material that would be friendlier to the
touch. For example
- smooth plastic
https://www.serviceideas.com/apprisenet/graphics/Products/ECALSBPMAT_BL.jpg
- sandblasted glass (but still colored)
http://i6.ebayimg.com/06/i/000/b2/43/0d77_1.JPG
http://img.alibaba.com/photo/207462411/Sandblasted_Glass_Sandblasted_tempered_Glass_frosted_glass.jpg
- Ceramic
http://www.lakewoodconferences.com/direct/dbimage/50205449/Ceramic_Teacups.jpg
- Wax
http://www.gsmmonument.org/MakingAStatue/slide09a_DetailingWax.jpg

In other cases, I would like to see wood, metal and paper preferred over
plastic.

Simply blurring/fading-in the reflection and reducing its alpha should
do the trick to get away from the overdone shininess.

But if you do want to keep the hard reflection, make the curve
symmetrical, balanced or use no curve and make it horizontally straight.

--
Thorsten Wilms

thorwil's design for free software:
http://thorwil.wordpress.com/