[ubuntu-art] Some questions about the SVG versions of the logo

coz DS cosimo321 at gmail.com
Mon May 18 17:02:33 BST 2009

2009/5/18 Raúl Núñez de Arenas Coronado <raul at dervishd.net>

> Hi all :)
>
> I have some questions about the Ubuntu logo, specially the SVG versions,
> and I wonder if anyone here can help me.
>
> First, the SVG versions are made with Adobe Illustrator: are there
> versions made with Inkscape or other tool, containing shapes instead of
> paths?
>
> Second, is there any official specification for the "Circle of friends"
> and the "ubuntu" word, containing sizes, distances, shapes, etc. If, for
> whatever reason, I were to make a logo from scratch it would be very
> useful to know this information, which can be only obtained by measuring
> by hand in the SVG.
>
> Third, about the letters in "ubuntu" and "linux for human beings": was a
> font used or all letters are made from shapes? The strap line looks like
> Bitstream Vera/Deja Vu sans serif, but "ubuntu" looks like hand made
> shapes. Again, knowing the sizes and the shapes would be great.
>
> When I'm talking about having shape-and-size information I mean
> something like the PDF version currently available on the
> Artwork/Official page (named "with proper gridlines"), but more
> ellaborate. Probably the original author of the logos has this
> information :? I think this would be useful, because although SVG and
> PNG versions of the logos are provided, they are not always the best
> sources to work with the logo: having the dimensions, distances, shapes
> used, etc. is a "format-agnostic" way of telling people how a proper
> Ubuntu logo has to be drawn, something along the lines of what the GNOME
> people did with their logo. In the worst case, a SVG file containing the
> paths with no "transform" items would be enough, although the Circle of
> Friends is better described, IMHO, as circles and not paths...
>
> I know all this is a weird petition but I would find this information
> very useful.
>
> Thanks a lot in advance :)
>
> --
> Raúl "DervishD" Núñez de Arenas Coronado
> Linux Registered User 88736 | http://www.dervishd.net
> It's my PC and I'll cry if I want to... RAmen!

Hey Raul,

the letters in "Ubuntu"  are a font named  ttf-ubuntu-title.  It should be
easily downloaded and installed on the system. So the kerning for the
letters is already set in the font. For the first question,,, I do not think
these were made in illustrator at at all,,, illustrator files do open well
in inkscape from my experience and the Ubuntu logo  opens and edits very
well in Inkscape.
   Unless you are getting another version from somewhere  that I am not
aware of  these were made in Inkscape.

coz