[ubuntu-art] Some questions about the SVG versions of the logo

Raúl Núñez de Arenas Coronado raul at dervishd.net
Mon May 18 14:30:44 BST 2009

Hi all :)

I have some questions about the Ubuntu logo, specially the SVG versions,
and I wonder if anyone here can help me.

First, the SVG versions are made with Adobe Illustrator: are there
versions made with Inkscape or other tool, containing shapes instead of

Second, is there any official specification for the "Circle of friends"
and the "ubuntu" word, containing sizes, distances, shapes, etc. If, for
whatever reason, I were to make a logo from scratch it would be very
useful to know this information, which can be only obtained by measuring
by hand in the SVG.

Third, about the letters in "ubuntu" and "linux for human beings": was a
font used or all letters are made from shapes? The strap line looks like
Bitstream Vera/Deja Vu sans serif, but "ubuntu" looks like hand made
shapes. Again, knowing the sizes and the shapes would be great.

When I'm talking about having shape-and-size information I mean
something like the PDF version currently available on the
Artwork/Official page (named "with proper gridlines"), but more
ellaborate. Probably the original author of the logos has this
information :? I think this would be useful, because although SVG and
PNG versions of the logos are provided, they are not always the best
sources to work with the logo: having the dimensions, distances, shapes
used, etc. is a "format-agnostic" way of telling people how a proper
Ubuntu logo has to be drawn, something along the lines of what the GNOME
people did with their logo. In the worst case, a SVG file containing the
paths with no "transform" items would be enough, although the Circle of
Friends is better described, IMHO, as circles and not paths...

I know all this is a weird petition but I would find this information
very useful.

Thanks a lot in advance :)