[ubuntu-art] extra wallpaper package for Karmic

Dylan McCall dylanmccall at gmail.com
Tue May 12 01:31:13 BST 2009

On Mon, 2009-05-11 at 14:13 +0200, Kenneth Wimer wrote:
> Other operating systems offer an extra selection of desktop
> backgrounds to their users. Often they are based on different "themes"
> typically applied to photography (nature, for instance).
>

> For Karmic we would like to include a set of high quality desktop
> backgrounds which are organized according to a predefined set of
> adjectives which describe emotional atmospheres, slogans (so to speak)
> for the way an image makes you feel.
>

> In order to accomplish this we call on anyone and everyone to submit
> images which are freely licensed and follow the guidelines for
> inclusion.
>

> Let me know if you have any ideas for improving this idea, or if you'd
> like to help coordinate things, etc.
>

> Thanks,
> Ken

Oops, one other thought while I'm here!

It could be possible to get a wider community of artists
(particularly ...err, "pros," for lack of a better word) on board if
they can sign their work. The work still gets a CC or some such license,
but serves as assured publicity for them since the signature is more
than just metadata. I have a hunch that, done tastefully, it could even
look pretty darn cool. For example, if said signature is actually an
authentic looking handwritten signature.

I uploaded a quick example here with my own horrible signature on it:
http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/195/wallpapersigned.jpg

In that example I used a web site URL beneath the signature, since of
course my feeble signature alone does little for publicity. Realized
fairly quickly that it could look kind of ugly (like we're trying to
sell something, or pulled it without permission from the site), so using
a more natural line of text such as a printed name (or just having the
signature alone!) may be a better choice. Less likely to change, too.

So there's another idea for the basket!

Bye,
Dylan