[ubuntu-art] Ubuntu Powder

Thorsten Wilms t_w_ at freenet.de
Tue Mar 31 09:44:20 BST 2009

On Mon, 2009-03-30 at 15:25 -0500, Matthew Nuzum wrote:

> My suggestion is to include a theme that has a distinctly feminine
> appeal. I'm not suggesting eye-burning pink (like is included in XP),
> but choosing a human related palette that says to women, "This is for
> you."

Sheesh, seeing the lack of women especially here, that would mean to
design a theme that is not for ourselves. How could you ever suggest
for such a deed of selflessness or professionalism? ;)

> Here are some of the thoughts behind my suggestion:
>
>  * When going to the grocery store with my son and daughter they often
> pick cereal based on the colour of the box. Yes, this is insane, but
> my daughter knows that if the box is pink it's for girls and since
> she's a girl she wants it. I disagree with this article on a few
> fundamental (but overall minute) points, but just to show there is
> evidence for this:
> http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2007/aug/21/sciencenews.fashion

Hmm. It's hard to know in how far gender specific color preferences are
cultural or biological.

It seems the "pink for girls, blue for boys" is a rather new convention.
Some claim it was reversed at some point, while other say there simply
wasn't a convention for a long time.

http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=238733
http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/2831/was-pink-originally-the-color-for-boys-and-blue-for-girls

Not the most credible links, but I read about it elsewhere, too.

One thing on the biological side we can be sure of is that the most
common color vision deficiency is for red-green and far more often
affects men than women.

I agree that it would be nice to have at least one theme aimed at women.
To get there, one would first have to do some research. Then you need
female testers.

--
Thorsten Wilms

thorwil's design for free software: