[ubuntu-art] Karmic Questions

John Baer baerjj at gmail.com
Tue Mar 31 02:21:57 BST 2009

On Sun, 2009-03-29 at 22:06 +0100, Andrew wrote:
> Message: 9
> Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2009 14:18:25 -0400
> From: Andrew <a.starr.b at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [ubuntu-art] Karmic Questions
> To: Discussion on Ubuntu artwork <ubuntu-art at lists.ubuntu.com>
>
> 2009/3/29 Kenneth Wimer <kwwii at ubuntu.com>:
> >> I went ahead and updated my personal branch of community-themes to
> >> remove Dust and New Wave and add Impression. What about Kin, do we
> >> still want it? Are there any other themes that should be added?
> Should
> >> I ask for this to be uploaded?
> >
> > Adding Impression and shiki-colors, when possible, is what the
> community
> > seems to want, judging by the emails we received. I wondered about
> Kin
> > myself...not sure what to do here. In the end, I'd like to see the
> community
> > help lead on this package (or perhaps we should change the name :p)
> >

> snip
>
> >> Who makes these decisions? The community? If so, how? You?
> >
> > So far, I am the voice of Canonical on this list as well as one of
> the main
> > people trying to keep things going in one direction. The idea is to
> work
> > with the community and enable them to be productive - whether that
> is on the
> > default artwork for Ubuntu or on other projects. At this point, it
> is
> > probably easier for me to get packages/changes included in Jaunty
> though :)
> >

> Heh... I suppose those were meant more as rhetorical questions that we
> all should be thinking about.
>
> I guess what I'm getting at is that I'd like to hear some opinions
> from the community about the goals and processes for the
> community-themes package. With Jaunty almost out the door, I'd like to
> start the community planning for Karmic. So I'm trying to instigate a
> little discussion.
>
> If no one else comes up with something. I'll try to propose something
> a bit more concrete after Jaunty's release, but in general my ideas
> are:
>
> 1. Define some guidelines for inclusion in the package. Possibly
> something as simple as being proposed on this list, shared on the
> wiki, ect... Essentially, not just a cool but random theme from
> GNOME-Look, but something actually from _this_ community.

Create a wiki page with guidelines and other advice.

> 2. Set a deadline before Feature Freeze for themes to be submitted.
> Updates/fixes to the included these of course continue after being
> accepted.

Part of the guidelines. Let the published milestones of the release
schedule be our deadlines.

> 3. Define a decision making process. Possibly using the voting feature
> on Launchpad for the Ubuntu Artwork Team?

I haven't participated in a launchpad poll but I'm sure it will meet our
needs.

> 4. Set a date for the new themes to be uploaded. Feature Freeze?
> Artwork Deadline?

Release schedule "final dead line".

> Comments? Ideas?
>
> >> My branch can be found here:
> >>

> https://code.edge.launchpad.net/~andrewsomething/community-themes/community
> >>-themes
> >>
> >> Hope that helps. It would be a shame for nothing to happen to the
> >> package...
> >
> > I'll check it out and get back to you...Sunday here, family time!
> >

> Have a great and relaxing Sunday! Thanks for your work on this.
>
> - Andrew

My thoughts exactly. My question is support. Would bug reports come to
community themes or directly to the community project.

John