[ubuntu-art] Karmic Questions

Andrew a.starr.b at gmail.com
Sun Mar 29 19:18:25 BST 2009

2009/3/29 Kenneth Wimer <kwwii at ubuntu.com>:
>> I went ahead and updated my personal branch of community-themes to
>> remove Dust and New Wave and add Impression. What about Kin, do we
>> still want it? Are there any other themes that should be added? Should
>> I ask for this to be uploaded?
>
> Adding Impression and shiki-colors, when possible, is what the community
> seems to want, judging by the emails we received. I wondered about Kin
> myself...not sure what to do here. In the end, I'd like to see the community
> help lead on this package (or perhaps we should change the name :p)

snip

>> Who makes these decisions? The community? If so, how? You?
>
> So far, I am the voice of Canonical on this list as well as one of the main
> people trying to keep things going in one direction. The idea is to work
> with the community and enable them to be productive - whether that is on the
> default artwork for Ubuntu or on other projects. At this point, it is
> probably easier for me to get packages/changes included in Jaunty though :)

Heh... I suppose those were meant more as rhetorical questions that we
all should be thinking about.

I guess what I'm getting at is that I'd like to hear some opinions
from the community about the goals and processes for the
community-themes package. With Jaunty almost out the door, I'd like to
start the community planning for Karmic. So I'm trying to instigate a
little discussion.

If no one else comes up with something. I'll try to propose something
a bit more concrete after Jaunty's release, but in general my ideas
are:

1. Define some guidelines for inclusion in the package. Possibly
something as simple as being proposed on this list, shared on the
wiki, ect... Essentially, not just a cool but random theme from
GNOME-Look, but something actually from _this_ community.
2. Set a deadline before Feature Freeze for themes to be submitted.
Updates/fixes to the included these of course continue after being
accepted.
3. Define a decision making process. Possibly using the voting feature
on Launchpad for the Ubuntu Artwork Team?
4. Set a date for the new themes to be uploaded. Feature Freeze?
Artwork Deadline?

Comments? Ideas?

>> My branch can be found here:
>>

>> https://code.edge.launchpad.net/~andrewsomething/community-themes/community
>>-themes
>>
>> Hope that helps. It would be a shame for nothing to happen to the
>> package...
>
> I'll check it out and get back to you...Sunday here, family time!

Have a great and relaxing Sunday! Thanks for your work on this.

- Andrew