[ubuntu-art] [Breathe] audio-card

Ryan Henningsen xryancat at gmail.com
Thu Mar 26 22:26:31 GMT 2009

2009/3/26 Ryan Prior <ryanprior at gmail.com>

> On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 10:08 AM, daniel planas armangué <
> daniplanas.a at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> > I really like the card but I would remove the music note and make the
>> > card a little bigger.
>> > Anyway, great work.
>> > --
>> > Seba (AKA spg76)
>> > http://www.ubuntu-ar.org
>>
>> thank's. but i think if i remove de music note, de user don't understand
>> the icon.
>

> I'm not sure whether to agree. Most users didn't assemble their computers
> and probably couldn't pick a sound card out of a lineup. However, most users
> probably wouldn't be looking through their devices menu to find the sound
> card icon, either.
>
> If it comes down to cuteness, the music note wins because it's a cute idea.
> If it comes down to realism, well, the sound card doesn't actually make any
> sound, so the note would be gone.

Icons are metaphors. By removing the music note you cripple the metaphor and
now the icon looks like a generic PCI card.

For all we know that could be an icon for all hardware devices, a network
card, anything. The sound card makes it clear to computer savvy users, and
non-technically inclined people will relate the piece of hardware and the
music note and know that that must be part of the computer related to sound.
So if their having sound problems, that's were they'd look.