[ubuntu-art] New Wave 0.8.0 for Ubuntu

Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen mikkel.kamstrup at gmail.com
Wed Mar 18 19:47:45 GMT 2009

2009/3/18 Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen <mikkel.kamstrup at gmail.com>:
> 2009/3/18 Anton Kerezov <ankere at gmail.com>:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I haven't still officially announced the release of New Wave 0.8 but as
>> it is going to be included in Ubuntu as one of the defaults I would like
>> everybody that have 10 min to spare to download and test the theme. I
>> haven't tried it on Jaunty yet so if there is anybody running it I would
>> very much appreciate some feedback. If there are any problems do not
>> hesitate to write me. In general that's new:
>>
>> - Focus for textboxes
>> - New Treeview design
>> - New scrollbars
>> - Even better focus system for tabs, and range ctrls
>> - Custom Nautilus sidebar
>> - Tooltips, popups and progressbars are redesigned
>>

>> P.S. I will download a copy of Jaunty today but my feedback would not be
>> enough so please write me.
>>
>> P.P.S. I attach Firefox theme in beta version.
>
> You do realize that 7z compression is not supported by default in
> Intrepid? If the point is to preserve bandwidth I think bz2 should do
> almost as well.
>
> Will test it when I find out how to decompress that 7z archive :-)

'sudo apt-get install p7zip' saved my day :-)

Here goes:

 - Really polished, probably the best version hitherto. Super work overall.

 - I think the scrollbar color is good - that is: I disagree with some
of the other commenters who found it too subdued

 - The scrollbars are very experimental and they work well on some
widgets and not so good on others. It is very good for embedded lists
and tree views, but not so good on fx. GMail's embedded text editor
(which I am using as I write this :-)). Another problematic case is
when the scrollbar is on the right. You can try this out in Gnome
Terminal by configuring the "Scrolling" tab in its profile. I don't
know how RTL languages lay out the scrollbars...

 - Have you experimented with some kind of left edge on the scrollbar.
The problem is that it appears a bit "floating" the widget on the left
of it does not provide a natural border (again see embedded GMail
editor).

 - But to make it clear - really, really, great work!

 - Looking at "The Widget Factory" It looks like the text entries in
GtkCombo does not align pixel perfect with their arrow-buttons (there
seems to be some cruft in the right corners of the entries).
GtkComboBoxEntry looks good though.

--
Cheers,
Mikkel