[ubuntu-art] Images on the wiki don't show up / surge protection

Thorsten Wilms t_w_ at freenet.de
Sun Jul 26 09:50:02 BST 2009

Hi!

As some people noticed, the backgrounds pages on our wiki sometimes load
with a number of the last images missing.

This was already part of the reason for the default/abstract/photo
split, but now it reached a point, where I never get to see everything
on
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Artwork/Incoming/Karmic/Backgrounds/Extra_Photo

This is due to the wiki's "surge protection". You will even be told so
if you try to open one of the full size images directly after
(incomplete) loading of the page.

We even lost a contributor because he wanted to use one of those image
hosters and I didn't allow that because there shall be no holes in the
wiki in a few months or even a few years.

It's a known issue and I already talked with Kenneth and Matthew Nuzum,
but I want to make this new statement official:

It seems there is no easy fix, but sheesh, is that ever ridiculous and
annoying. I did set up the background pages and kept an eye on them, but
I will not continue to do so and not lift a finger in this area for the
next cycle, unless this issue is resolved.

--
Thorsten Wilms

thorwil's design for free software:
http://thorwil.wordpress.com/