[ubuntu-art] Feedback on Proposed Default Wallpaper

Saleel Velankar svelanka at gmail.com
Fri Jan 30 14:03:56 GMT 2009

> Are there any specific suggestions on how to make it better?  I'm
> trying to integrate a stylized jackalope into it but success continues
> to elude me.
>
> -Chris
Personally I agree with Kenneth, when he said that the default wallpaper
may/(should(?)) be an abstract one. Abstraction gives the final desktop
a professional quality, without distracting the user with mad eyecandy,
that is to say that it does not force on to a user any particular
artstyle/deco that the artist prefers. As such, it is also less divisive
within the community, than one featuring a subject. Looking to some of
the competition, Windows Vista .

Windows Vista has a large amount of Default Wallpapers:
I think they are rather good, featuring nature vistas, abstract
light,textures.
    http://www.istartedsomething.com/20070126/finding-vista-wallpapers/
It is clear that /none/ of the wallpapers features a subject with an
abstract background, like what I have have been trying to do. (check out
my Mr. Bun submission.)

Having spilled all that, I think what I am disliking in your submission
is all of the harsh angles and blocky colors. A good abstract wall
should imo should be smooth and unjarring to the vision.I should be
similar to a light array. It should be able to hold a users sight and
complement his/her Icon theme.

Saleel V.