[ubuntu-art] New to the Thread

Cory K. coryisatm at ubuntu.com
Tue Jan 20 12:49:21 GMT 2009

Brian May wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I've been subscribed for a few weeks now, watching all of the dialog go
> on and would like to jump in soon.  I'm a graphic designer by education
> and want to see how I may contribute and have a few questions:
>
> 1.) I'm a Photoshop/Illustrator junky, but want to move into open source
> tools.  What tools are the best for icon creation? (Inkscape, SodiPodi,
> The Gimp etc.)

Currently, for the Breathe project
(https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Artwork/BreatheIconSet/Submissions), we're
using Inkscape. GIMP is also common.

Though I personally like the use of open source tools in the creation of
art for open source projects it's not a requirement at all.

> 2.) The list is obviously for Ubuntu artwork, what about Kubuntu and the
> others? Is there ongoing icon creation for those?

I'm the lead artist for Ubuntu Studio and I've always made a point to be
part of this main community. Though there isn't much from the other
*buntus, there's nothing keeping then away. I'd love for them to be
active here.

> 3.) Is this the right place to ask these questions, or is there a doc
> somewhere for newbies to the list?

Here's a quick start.
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Artwork/Documentation/GetInvolved

-Cory K.