[ubuntu-art] Remove subject tag and footer. Pros/cons

Who mailforwho at googlemail.com
Mon Feb 23 16:41:45 GMT 2009

On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 4:28 PM, Alan Pope <alan at popey.com> wrote:
> 2009/2/23 Cory K. <coryisatm at ubuntu.com>:
>> As some people use the subject tag for filtering it should be discussed.
>> You can always use the sender as a filter here.
>>
>> So pros/cons on both?
>>

> I like the subject tag because whilst I don't electronically filter on
> it, I do filter on it with my eyes. I'm on around 150 mailing lists
> and being able to scan down the inbox and see the tag helps me to
> decide which ones to read first.

For a similar reason I _don't_ like the subject tag.

I like to filter my list subscriptions into gmail 'labels' - which
gives me a colour coded way of spotting what I need(?) to see first,
and also a good way of catching up on all of the mails from one
particular list quickly.

Doing it like this means I get {Ubuntu-Art}[ubuntu-art]Subject

And when we add tags to emails it gets even worse!
{Ubuntu-Art}[ubuntu-art][blubuntu]Subject

Which saddens me :P - I don't get to see all of the subject quite often

Al, in your situation isn't there a way to make your mail client add
some tag to the subject? Also - from the other free software mailing
lists I'm on, tagging seems like quite rare behaviour? Do you have a
system for those other lists that don't tag that works?

I'd be very happy with a shorter tag [ua], for example, would solve my problem.

Who