[ubuntu-art] Impression Metacity Updates

Thomas L.G thomlie at online.no
Mon Feb 23 02:33:57 GMT 2009

Cory K. wrote:

> There are *many* things that are popular but aren't really a good idea.
>
> Generally, I think the folks here would like to see something different.
> Something that /could/ be defined as Ubuntu.

You know, when it comes to window buttons, there really aren't many
alternatives. They usually are either squared or rounded. Windows uses
squared buttons, OSX uses rounded. Then what should we do? Either way
out buttons are gonna resemble Windows or OSX' buttons.

Take a look at leopard:
http://skattertech.com/media/2007/10/apple-os-x-leopard-screenshot.jpg
Vista:
http://images.tomshardware.com/2007/01/23/countdown_to_windows_vista/vista-first-startupbig.jpg

First, we want our buttons to be at the right side. Second, we should
think about which colors we should be using. I kinda like the idea of
using rounded buttons with the same colors as the ubuntu logo - red,
orange, yellow. The question then is whether the user understands which
is which. Red = close, orange = max, yellow = min, - that sounds logical
to me. However, I also like the KDE-way of using rounded buttons, with
the arrow up/down + X. Could we maybe combine colors and arrow/X-symbols?

Remember, if something works, why not use it? I don't think our goal
should be *do everything the opposite way than everyone else*, often
there are reasons why things are done the way they are. Actually I think
it makes more sense for Ubuntu to use rounded buttons, than OSX - as
they would be based on the logo.

Actually I really like the "Impression" concept. Aesthetically, it looks
slick. The only problem is whether the buttons should have symbols as
well, as in KDE.

If you want to define something as strictly *Ubuntu*, I support that,
but I do not think you should apply that goal to EVERY element or widget
in the whole system, but rather look on the use of colors, gradients,
wallpapers etc. - the elements that make up the most of the impression.

Just my five cents.

- Thomas L.G