[ubuntu-art] Kyūdō (was Re: Jaunty Wallpaper (Kenneth Wimer))

Thorsten Wilms t_w_ at freenet.de
Sun Feb 15 10:08:56 GMT 2009

On Sat, 2009-02-14 at 16:10 -0600, Ryan Prior wrote:

> Applying the "Kyudo standard"? As far as I can see, Kyudo is an
> ill-defined idea that lacks any specific implementation details, so
> applying any part of it as a standard is just going to be haphazard.
> Furthermore, as far as I'm aware it's completely unproven; even if
> somebody did come up with a set of concrete standards based on the
> Kyudo concept and tried applying them, we have no precedent suggesting
> that it's likely to increase the quality of our distribution,
> facilitate teamwork, or anything else.

You completely fail to understand the origin, background and goals of
Kyūdō. Makes me wonder if actually did read through it all.
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Artwork/KyudoGuidelines

I observed that discussions on artwork here on this list happened on a
level of "more orange" or "not enough brown". Many opinions, but hardly
ever any exploration of the reasons behind any decision.

A few of us thought that the solution should be a well documented and
discussed set of goals. That is the root of Kyūdō. Know what you are
trying to achieve, so people can pull into one direction.

A process that hasn't really happened is unproven, of course ;p

I asked for feedback several times. I don't recall that you ever had
anything constructive to offer. But maybe you have an alternative to
offer?

> There _is_ a lot of work that's gone into finding team management
> strategies, event planning methods, etc -- people go to college for
> 4-8 years and earn all kinds of fancy degrees in business
> administration, for Pete's sake. I don't understand why there is an
> effort underway to build some sort of process apart from what's
> already been researched, published, and battle-tested in numerous
> cycles. Everything I've seen regarding Kyudo indicates to me that it
> is unresearched and untested, so until those criticisms no longer
> apply, I think it's ludicrous to suggest that we apply it as a
> standard anywhere.

As far as Kyūdō is about process, it is shaped on my background in
industrial design, with a lot of input from Troy Sobotka, who has a
bachelor of arts. It is just basic design methodology without anything
new or fancy and as such proven a million times.

--
Thorsten Wilms

thorwil's design for free software:
http://thorwil.wordpress.com/