[ubuntu-art] Community Themes for Karmic

Andrew SB a.starr.b at gmail.com
Wed Aug 26 22:45:14 BST 2009

On Mon, Aug 24, 2009 at 10:52 PM, Andrew SB<a.starr.b at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Those of you familiar with the release schedule [0] or the
> documentation that was put together for the community-themes package
> at the beginning of this cycle [1] know that Feature Freeze [2] will
> be upon us Thursday, August 27th. This coincides with scheduled first
> drop of the official art work. [3] In previous discussions about the
> community-themes package, it seems that it was decided to follow the
> official artwork schedule for our package as well.
>
> In other words we need to start making some decisions about which
> themes to include in the community-themes Karmic package. (In fact,
> looking at our schedule now it seems very back loaded in retrospect.
> We probably should have started the decision making process earlier.)
> Those interested should take a look at Incoming/Karmic [4] and perhaps
> officially propose something for inclusion? As our earlier discussions
> of creating a Community Art Council that could make final decisions
> seem to have fizzled, I suppose we will have to come to a general
> level of consensus. So let's start discussing!
>
> Currently the package includes only Kin and Impression, with Dust and
> New Wave having been promoted to main in the gnome-themes-ubuntu
> package. To get the ball rolling, my personal proposal for Karmic
> would be to update to the new version of Impression, drop Kin, and
> include two new themes. That would give us a total of three in the
> package. I think having much more than that would make the package a
> bit over-whelming. We want the best that the community has to offer,
> not a huge mess of themes. Also, if we have too many, it will make
> adding new themes in future releases harder as it always seems harder
> to cut old stuff out as people become attached.
>
> I know several themes have been posted to this list that don't seem to
> be on the wiki yet. I strongly encourage their authors to create wiki
> pages for them soon. It will make it much easier to refer to your
> theme in discussion rather than having to find a link to a post in the
> mailing-list archive.
>
> Any themes stand out to you?
>
> Should we retain Impression and Kin?
>
> Any other things we should be considering?
>
> Thanks!
>
> - Andrew Starr-Bochicchio
>
> P.S.  Ken, if you're reading this, any chance you could add me to the
> ubuntu-art-pkg team in Launchpad? It owns the official
> community-themes branch, and as I imagine that I'm going to be the one
> packaging/uploading this (anyone else?) it would make my life easier
> to be able to commit directly. I applied months back with out any
> response.
>
> [0] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KarmicReleaseSchedule
> [1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Artwork/Documentation/CommunityThemes
> [2] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/FeatureFreeze
> [3] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ArtworkFirstDrop
> [4] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Artwork/Incoming/Karmic

Hello all,

Even though we haven't seen that much discussion yet, I'd really like
to get an upload done to coincide with the First Artwork Drop and
Feature Freeze. Nothing would be set in stone, but it would allow for
wider testing of the new themes. Also after FF bug fixes are allowed,
but we'd need to go through the exemption process to add new stuff.

I've prepared an upload that adds Hanso and Turrican. It also updates
Impression to its latest and has numerous packaging fixes. If you're
interested in looking at all the changes, my packaging branch is here:

https://code.edge.launchpad.net/~andrewsomething/community-themes/community-themes

If you'd like to test before I make the upload, you can grab a deb here:

http://people.ubuntu.com/~andrewsomething/community-themes_0.15~andrewsomething1_all.deb

Let me know what you think. Remember, we can always reconsider, but
I'd like to get something pushed out before the Freeze for testing.

- Andrew