[ubuntu-art] Community Themes for Karmic

Andrew SB a.starr.b at gmail.com
Tue Aug 25 03:52:40 BST 2009

Hi all,

Those of you familiar with the release schedule [0] or the
documentation that was put together for the community-themes package
at the beginning of this cycle [1] know that Feature Freeze [2] will
be upon us Thursday, August 27th. This coincides with scheduled first
drop of the official art work. [3] In previous discussions about the
community-themes package, it seems that it was decided to follow the
official artwork schedule for our package as well.

In other words we need to start making some decisions about which
themes to include in the community-themes Karmic package. (In fact,
looking at our schedule now it seems very back loaded in retrospect.
We probably should have started the decision making process earlier.)
Those interested should take a look at Incoming/Karmic [4] and perhaps
officially propose something for inclusion? As our earlier discussions
of creating a Community Art Council that could make final decisions
seem to have fizzled, I suppose we will have to come to a general
level of consensus. So let's start discussing!

Currently the package includes only Kin and Impression, with Dust and
New Wave having been promoted to main in the gnome-themes-ubuntu
package. To get the ball rolling, my personal proposal for Karmic
would be to update to the new version of Impression, drop Kin, and
include two new themes. That would give us a total of three in the
package. I think having much more than that would make the package a
bit over-whelming. We want the best that the community has to offer,
not a huge mess of themes. Also, if we have too many, it will make
adding new themes in future releases harder as it always seems harder
to cut old stuff out as people become attached.

I know several themes have been posted to this list that don't seem to
be on the wiki yet. I strongly encourage their authors to create wiki
pages for them soon. It will make it much easier to refer to your
theme in discussion rather than having to find a link to a post in the
mailing-list archive.

Any themes stand out to you?

Should we retain Impression and Kin?

Any other things we should be considering?

Thanks!

- Andrew Starr-Bochicchio

P.S.  Ken, if you're reading this, any chance you could add me to the
ubuntu-art-pkg team in Launchpad? It owns the official
community-themes branch, and as I imagine that I'm going to be the one
packaging/uploading this (anyone else?) it would make my life easier
to be able to commit directly. I applied months back with out any
response.

[0] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KarmicReleaseSchedule
[1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Artwork/Documentation/CommunityThemes
[2] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/FeatureFreeze