[ubuntu-art] Designing Ubuntu on a non-free software

Mat Tomaszewski mat.tomaszewski at canonical.com
Fri Aug 14 18:33:57 BST 2009

Hi,

Quite recently some community members pointed out that the design team's
submissions have been created using proprietary software, like Flash or
Photoshop. I have a feeling that this is something that needs to be
addressed, as we're all trying to actively support free and open
software with our work.

It is very true that we do use proprietary software (Flash and Photoshop
in particular) as well as free software (Inkscape rocks!) in our daily
work. This is largely due to the fact that most of us come from the
commercial design background and developed certain habits and workflows
– changing these requires time, and time is one of the things we really
miss :)

Our primary goal is to make Ubuntu better. But that also means
contributing to the whole array of software that comes with Ubuntu,
including design apps. What we need is a critical mass of goodness,
which will help people like us (!) switch! I'm personally interested in
contributing to apps like GIMP or Inkscape and I'd appreciate any help
with getting in touch with the right people :)

Mat

P.S. I also think there's something strangely satisfying in beating
software companies with their own stick... (OMG, have I just recommended
using Windows!?? ;)