[ubuntu-art] SVG icons and default colour scheme

Kenneth Wimer kwwii at ubuntu.com
Tue Apr 28 12:17:47 BST 2009

On Monday 27 April 2009 20:00:49 Chris Tooley wrote:
> I was browsing the icons for Breathe and something occurred to me, is
> it possible to create SVGs with scripts in them? i.e. is the SVG
> engine complete enough that adding some scripting, or adding a
> scripting engine would be trivial?
>
> The main reason I'm curious about this is that we could possibly
> define SVGs with a default colour, then if the colour is different in
> the system then we could change the colour - for instance, in the
> current BreatheIconSet submissions, devices/computer has an orange
> background on the screen. It looks great, and fits excellently with an
> orange based theme, but what about a theme that is blue-colour based?
> Wouldn't it be cool if we could just say "make this colour match (such
> and such) colour defined in appearance settings"?
>
> I suppose for colours, we wouldn't really need scripting but if we had
> scripting in SVG it would open up an entire world of possibilities.
>
> If this is well received I will put forth this suggestion on
> brainstorm, if it isn't already. :)

Having played around with ideas like this in the past I have to say that
although the idea is great, really doing something like this isn't that easy.
In addition to the technical problems involved there is the simple fact that
once cannot easily swap out colors without changing all the colors, ie. take a
blue picture and make it orange, because of the different perception of colors
by the human eye.

--
Ken