[ubuntu-art] Lines of Authority - Controlled Membership

John Baer baerjj at gmail.com
Wed Apr 22 18:18:50 BST 2009

A suggestion was made on the "Gettin' our @$$3$ in gear. or, a team
restructuring" thread about creating an art council as the decision making
body of this team but I believe we already have a working solution in place.

Using Fedora as an example, the Fedora artTeam is lead by
MairinDuffy<http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/MairinDuffy>.
It is my understanding Mairin is employed by Redhat and I assume has
responsibilities simular Ken's. Mairin may seek council when working issues
but I believe the final decision is hers. Mairin is assisted in the
day-to-day activities by Nicu Buculei.  It is my understanding Nicu is not
employed by Redhat but contributes to the list, maintains wiki content, and
assists in getting submissions ready. Nicu has also authored some
how-to's on Inkscape which were published in Redhat magazine.

Our model could easily be as follows.

Artwork Team Lead - Kenneth Wimer
Artwork Team Ambassador - Christina Kokott ( Ken's backup )
Artwork Team Wiki Coach - Thorsten Wilms (monitors all Artwork Team wiki
content)
Other Coaches - As needed (e.g. packaging, icons, GTK themes)

(Coach = Mentor)   :)

I believe anyone can subscribe to the Fedora artTeam mailing list but must
be approved before they can receive team membership. That is to say mailing
list subscriber does not equal team member. Some of the reasons for this is
simply "paper work". All team members must have a Fedora account. Having a
Fedora account requires agreement to published policies and procedures.
Uploading content to Fedora has many of the same dependencies as Launchpad.

Very simply what are our requirements for membership?

1) ask to join (mail list)
2) disclose interest (mail list)
2) agree to "code of conduct" (need to validate)
3) create launchpad account (need to validate)
4) create a wiki personal page (need to validate)
5) Others (?)

Why wouldn't someone make the team?

* doesn't ask
* has no interest
* does not agree to "code of conduct"
* no launchpad account
* poor fit (Ken's call)

Who will validate our requirements are satisfied?

In the case of Fedora I believe any existing team member can validate a
request for membership. I believe this will work for us but in all cases the
final decision is Ken's or Ken's delegate.

Why do I feel this will work?

Ubuntu depends on Canonical, Canonical depends on Community.

Thoughts,

John