[ubuntu-art] Defining the Artwork Team Goals and Objectives

Thorsten Wilms t_w_ at freenet.de
Thu Apr 16 13:29:08 BST 2009

On Thu, 2009-04-16 at 13:25 +0200, Kenneth Wimer wrote:

> > == Top Goals ==
> >
> > * Enjoyment: Having fun being creative and interacting in the
> community
> > * Growth: Practise and improve your artistic skills (possibly also
> > managerial and writing skills), gather experience
> > * Support: Further the goals of Ubuntu
> > * Idealism (or long-term pragmatism ;): Advocate and showcase the
> use
> > of open-source tools in the design and artwork realm
> >

> > == Goals of Ubuntu ==
> >
> > To offer a free (in both the economic and FSF sense), sustainable
> > platform for commodity requirements with optional commercial support
> > * To act according to the following ideals (from
> > http://www.ubuntu.com/community/ubuntustory/philosophy):
> > 1. Every computer user should have the freedom to download, run,
> > copy, distribute, study, share, change and improve their
> > software for any purpose, without paying licensing fees.
> > 2. Every computer user should be able to use their software in the
> > language of their choice.
> > 3. Every computer user should be given every opportunity to use
> > software, even if they work under a disability.
> > * Have free software break into Microsoft's majority market share
> > https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/1
> > * Improve the overall usability of free software within Ubuntu.
> > Surpass Apple in the quality of the user experience.
> >
> (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/07/23/shuttleworth_apple_challenge/,
> > http://www.markshuttleworth.com/archives/162)
>

> I get the feeling that we are recreating some of the stuff from Kyüdo
> somehow. I think a page like this is helpful, but we would do well to
> make sure that we understand the exact need which is filled by this
> page and how it interacts with other information.

Lol, that's because the 2nd part is from Kyüdo ;)
Now resides at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Artwork/Documentation/Briefing

Regarding the need: everyone who is serious about artwork for Ubuntu
needs such a briefing. I'll be happy if someone manages to improve it.

--
Thorsten Wilms

thorwil's design for free software:
http://thorwil.wordpress.com/