[ubuntu-art] Mandating usage of free tools.

Ben Crisford bencrisford at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Apr 12 18:20:14 BST 2009

I'll do that linking if you want.

Ben

________________________________
From: Thorsten Wilms <t_w_ at freenet.de>
To: ubuntu-art at lists.ubuntu.com
Sent: Sunday, 12 April, 2009 17:58:41
Subject: Re: [ubuntu-art] Mandating usage of free tools.

On Sun, 2009-04-12 at 11:55 -0400, John Baer wrote:

> IMO using free tools is fundamental to community developed effort. Using
> something else means going it alone.

Spot on.

> The following comment used to live in the
>
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Artwork/Documentation/CommunityThemes
>
> page but I don't see it now.
>

> "Submissions should be made in formats that can be read by software
> available from the Ubuntu Repositories. Preferred image formats include
> XFC, SVG, and PNG. Preferred sound formats include WAV, FLAC and OGG
> Vorbis. Master files, which may be further edited, should be maintained
> in non-lossy formats and made available to the community. Preserving
> vector graphics, raster layers and channels is important for such
> materials."
>
> We currently don't have a goals and objectives page for the team but if
> we did I would advocate the use of free tools be there.

It's now on
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Artwork/Incoming/SubmissionGuidelines#Formats
because I want to avoid redundancy..

So there shall be a lot of info that can be linked to from the
CommunityThemes page, but it should only directly contain information
that is specific. That _could_ be a roadmap and something about
organizing a team.

BTW, I would appreciate if someone could take over the job of linking
the formats (XCF, SVG and so on) to pages where they are explained.
Wikipedia pages might be alright for that.

--
Thorsten Wilms

thorwil's design for free software:
http://thorwil.wordpress.com/