[ubuntu-art] Call for wiki review: Updating

Andrew a.starr.b at gmail.com
Sun Apr 12 16:28:47 BST 2009

On Sun, Apr 12, 2009 at 8:01 AM, Thorsten Wilms <t_w_ at freenet.de> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Artwork/Documentation/Updating
> Is this correct and relevant?
> Or is there perhaps a guide we can link to instead?

I'm not so sure it is very relevant, especially the part about editing
configure.ac This assumes a specific release structure. It also seems
to be telling you to make a new upstream release for a change you did
on someone else's source?

There are some pretty decent guides in the wiki about packaging. For
instance, updating an Ubuntu package to a new upstream release:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PackagingGuide/Recipes/PackageUpdate

The problem is most artwork releases don't necessarily have any sort
of build system as there is no need to compile them. So do, like
official GNOME releases, in order to  do some localization stuff at
build time. Most of the packaging guides assume, for good reason, that
you're working with a software release with all the autotools magic.

-Andrew