[ubuntu-art] Mandating usage of free tools.

Thorsten Wilms t_w_ at freenet.de
Sun Apr 12 09:52:48 BST 2009

On Sat, 2009-04-11 at 23:51 -0400, Ryan Prior wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 11, 2009 at 3:04 PM, Cory K. <coryisatm at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> > I believe that *all* submissions for official art or projects under the
> > art team be created with free tools.
>
> This does not go far enough. We should only accept submissions if they
> are created on Ubuntu. More follows:

I assume this is satire, but if anyone wants to take it serious:

An argument could be made, that while Ubuntu wants to further free
software, it is not restricted to further it only below it's own
umbrella. Mark Shuttleworth said several times that he's not interested
in pushing aside other distributions and he also emphasised the
commitment to send improvements upstream.

> "Be respectful. The Ubuntu community and its members treat one another
> with respect. Everyone can make a valuable contribution to Ubuntu. We
> may not always agree, but disagreement is no excuse for poor behaviour
> and poor manners . . . It's important to remember that a community
> where people feel uncomfortable or threatened is not a productive one.
> We expect members of the Ubuntu community to be respectful when
> dealing with other contributors as well as with people outside the
> Ubuntu project, and with users of Ubuntu."

Only accepting artwork made with free software doesn't show disrespect
to anyone, as the stated goal of such a policy would be to advocate the
use of our own tools and showing that they are at least good enough.

Our artwork should express Ubuntu. Doing so with Photoshop and Co is a
bit like writing "Orange" in blue type (I couldn't think of a car
analogy).

--
Thorsten Wilms

thorwil's design for free software: