[ubuntu-art] Mandating usage of free tools.

Cory K. coryisatm at ubuntu.com
Sun Apr 12 03:14:52 BST 2009

davidholland1989 at gmail.com wrote:
> you all have valid points but for me at least, using Gimp, Inkscape,
> or Qcad does not come as easy as using Photoshop, Illustrator, or Autocad
> and since i am a artist not a developer or a programmer, i cant change
> the behavior of any of the programs mentioned to make them more like
> what i am used to photoshop .etc
>
> i simply dont have time to learn a parallel program that may or may
> not work as well as non-opensource soft but preforms the same tasks.

I would honestly wager to sat you can do most of what you do in
GIMP/Inkscape. Admittedly it takes work. But you, like many others,
don't want to change. So it's up to us as a team to decide whether this
is something we want to accept.

I'd love to see some of your AutoCAD work. :) Damn shame they aren't
making a Linux port with all the work they're doing on the Mac one.

> that said i think saving in formats that are free and easly used by
> all would serve us well.

Still something that needs discussed.

-Cory K.