[ubuntu-art] Mandating usage of free tools.

Cory K. coryisatm at ubuntu.com
Sat Apr 11 21:00:02 BST 2009

Smartboy wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 11, 2009 at 12:04 PM, Cory K. <coryisatm at ubuntu.com> wrote:
>
>> This is something I thought about before but was reminded of so here goes.
>>

>> I believe that *all* submissions for official art or projects under the
>> art team be created with free tools.
>>
>> No more wallpapers done with Photoshop and the like for instance. All
>> submissions done with free formats also. All images would be PNG/SVG.
>>
>> There's something flawed about promoting a free OS and creating it's
>> look with another. (Win/OSX) My personal philosophy is "use the right
>> tool for the job" and our tools are plenty capable.
>>
>> Might be a bit of zealotry but that's my proposal.
>>

> I disagree. I think that if it works for you, why should you change?

Because like I said "There's something flawed about promoting a free OS
and creating it's look with another".

> Most people who use Photoshop do so because they are used to it, and
> when they switch over to GIMP they can't create as good art because
> they don't know how to use it as well. It could take them a while to
> master the new tools. Is it really worth it for trying to contribute
> to a free project?

That's for us as a team and later new artists to decide. I think it is.
Hence the proposal.

> If we restrict choice in this manner, I think the backlash will be
> less art from "capable" artists (ie, professionals).

While that is a concern, I think with the current makeup of people
around here, it won't be an issue.

> This is my opinion, take it with a grain of salt. ;)

Isn't that a given? :)

In the end, if we're not eating out own dogfood how are we going to
improve and promote the tools? There's *nothing* I can think of we do
around here that GIMP, Inkscape and Blender don't do. (and read what I
said carefully before you start mentioning things like color support)

-Cory K.