[ubuntu-art] Any release party poster proposals?

Thorsten Wilms t_w_ at freenet.de
Fri Apr 3 19:06:49 BST 2009

On Fri, 2009-04-03 at 17:49 +0300, Stas SUSHKOV wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm looking for some poster ready to be used for release parties.
> I couldn't find anything in wiki, somebody can pass me a tip where to
> search for?

Hmm, I only recall this from last release:
http://anotherubuntu.blogspot.com/2008/03/danish-ubuntu-804-release-party-artwork.html

> I found this poster on deviantart
> http://mirroreyesserval.deviantart.com/art/AIFL-Illustration-Poster-49500593
> I liked it a lot, so I asked permissions for forking, but the guy didn't
> respond yet.
> Anyway I did a fork (the credits to the original author will be
> preserved):
> http://stas.nerd.ro/stuff/ubuntu-md.png

I don't see anything regarding a license on that deviantart page, so we
have to assume all-rights-reserved. As yours is pretty much a copy, you
shouldn't distribute it, unless you receive permission.

On another note, that ubuntu titling font shouldn't be used. Having the
same (or very similar) letter shapes all over the place weakens the
meaning and impact of the original wordmark. Even worse, if you set
"ubuntu" with that font, it ends up looking different and not for the
better. No consideration was given to any letters outside of the ones
needed for ubuntu, and filling the gaps is very difficult. This font
failed at it. the "a" doesn't properly sit on the baseline and the
"m" ... I think it is evil.

I really don't want to shoot you down, but this just had to be said.

To the crowd: shall we plan for such posters in the Karmic cycle?

--
Thorsten Wilms

thorwil's design for free software:
http://thorwil.wordpress.com/