[ubuntu-art] Let the disappointments begin?

Thorsten Wilms t_w_ at freenet.de
Tue Sep 30 20:06:12 BST 2008

On Tue, 2008-09-30 at 14:37 -0400, Vadim Peretokin wrote:

> There have been dissapointed followers at each and every release of
> the Ubuntu 8.10 alpha:

I'm sure pretty much everyone here is aware of this. An observation that
doesn't require any debate.

> I'm unsubscribing from the list for personal reasons, but one
> non-artistic recommendation I can give, is that the PR definitely
> needs work. There have been several cases of misinterpretation during
> the alpha (like with the brown theme, which was supposedly just a test
> one, but nobody was told that, and everyone thought it was the real
> new one and gasped in horror).

The PR needs work, but it is not our PR. Not our theme, not our
responsibility. However, it should be our responsibility to change this
state.

As long as there are countless idiots who will take things out of
context and even make up stuff like that the Deviantart contest actually
did happen and as long as the Ubuntu forums and places like Digg listen
to them ... not much we can do about that.

On the plus side, the whiners on forums and news sites are not everyone.
They are just the loudest part of actual/potential users. Obviously ones
who have much time to waste.

Everyone wanting to reply here should first ask: Will my input move
things forward in any way, add a new angle to the discussion? A question
that Vadim should have asked himself, too.

--
Thorsten Wilms

thorwil's design for free software:
http://thorwil.wordpress.com/