[ubuntu-art] Breathe user-trash

Danny King dannyking at gmail.com
Tue Sep 30 09:28:00 BST 2008

>> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Artwork/BreatheIconSet/Submissions

Great work there Sebastian, I really like your use of shadow and the
perspective is really good. I think the blue bin is the best - I
really want to reach out and touch it, which is the design goal. You
can tell that a lot of work has gone into it :)

The darker, lower half of the red and yellow bins seem too dark - on
the other two it looks perfect. Also perhaps the recycling logo could
be lighter? It appears to me to be slightly pink, maybe it's my eyes.
The shadow underneath all of the bins is clipped so they need to be
made a little smaller

I do like the wonderful colours you've used, but I still (personally)
feel that I can't relate any of them to a real world material. They
look like matte plastic (which I really like) but I don't think I've
ever seen such a bright matte plastic bin!

Also, just thinking about the 'full' trash can icon, assuming we used
the tried and tested 'scrunched up paper', I don't think there would
be enough space at the top to fit in the paper, so that's a +1 in
favour of resizing a little (at least the 256 size) from my point of
view.

All in all, a fantastic icon! I think with a few tweaks this might be
a good one to base the rest of the theme on - what do people think?
Should we start using matte plastic where applicable on other icons
for consistency?

All of this is just my first opinion and very much up for debate!

--
- Danny King of Gleaming Pixel Web Design.

Email: danny at gleamingpixel.co.uk / dannyking at gmail.com
Web: www.GleamingPixel.co.uk

Are you a web standards web developer that uses open source software?
Say hello, send me a mail! I'm looking for more like me.