[ubuntu-art] Announcing Project Kyūdō

Thorsten Wilms t_w_ at freenet.de
Tue Sep 23 14:57:54 BST 2008

On Mon, 2008-09-22 at 11:46 -0700, Rico Sta. Cruz wrote:
> Re: The Kyudo foundation document:
> (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Artwork/KyudoGuidelines/Foundation)
>
> WOW! I think this is spot on. We need a vision to keep the contributors on
> track, and I think this is just the right initiative to make that vision and
> push it forward.

Thanks you for your kind words and support!

> So what's next for Kyudo? Here are some of my thoughts on where to go from
> here:
>
>  - Polish, distill, disseminate.
>    The current 'Foundation' document has a good message to it. Perhaps it's
> time to polish this, make it into something that can easily be communicated,
> and spread the vision to those interested in contributing.
>
>  - Involve people.
>    I'll personally try to contribute whatever I can to this. Anyone else?
>
>  - Make proposals into how to 'concretize' the vision.
>    Once we got the vision down, it's time to make that into something
> clearer. Define the constraints. What one-sentence statement do we want to
> put across? What elements of the current Ubuntu brand should we retain? Do
> we work with a dark palette? etc...
>
>  - Define the short-term goals.
>    The Kyudo project has quite an astronomic target ("optimize
> presentation", which I guess can extend to branding, upstream projects,
> etc). Not exactly a bad thing, we but gotta define the next steps. We can't
> do all of these in one go, but what are we to do now? Do we work on themes?
> Icons? etc...

All good points. Currently, you can safely ignore the larger goal of an
optimal presentation. I chose to frame it like that, because I think all
parts of the presentation (theme, websites, packaging ...) should be
turned into a symphony to express strength, unity and dedication.

But the website design isn't open to discussion like community themes
are. We might be able to at least influence it, if we prove our
capability with a theme.

>From https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Artwork/KyudoGuidelines/Foundation,

"Briefing:

Create and deliver an optimal theme for each release, starting with
Jaunty Jackalope. Where optimal means: made to the project participants
best ability within a release cycle, with the aim to further the goals
of Ubuntu.

Optionally: create additional themes to meet the needs of other or more
specific audiences or specific uses."
---

So it's all about at least one theme now. While there could be several,
I have to advocate to bundle forces as much as possible.

I don't intend to start another icon effort within Kyūdō. Instead I
count on Breathe. Its goal of taking the succession of Human should lead
to compatible results. I don't think we can carry more than one icon
effort.

So it should mainly be about one theme and one icon set.

--
Thorsten Wilms

thorwil's design for free software:
http://thorwil.wordpress.com/