[ubuntu-art] Announcing Project Kyu-do-

Cory K. coryisatm at ubuntu.com
Mon Sep 22 04:18:53 BST 2008

Thorsten Wilms wrote:
> Hi!
>
> While the theme team process seems to work very well now, I think we
> could do better. My allies and I would like to push things towards a
> solid design process.
>
> One that starts with the question what it actually is what we want to
> achieve, what our message is and who we are addressing. Goals we can
> agree on and that will lead us through the design, helping us to
> collaborate in a larger team in a meaningful way.
>
> A process that will lead us out of the shadows of purely personal
> opinion and hidden assumptions towards the light of reason.
>
> A process where we will not jump unto the first idea, but develop and
> test several designs for each little part. Where we will not restart on
> the next cycle, but build upon the existing. Continuous refinement.
>
> One that will offer anyone a chance to learn about design in a deeper
> way and that will show onlookers that we are damn serious while we enjoy
> the ride!
>
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Artwork/KyudoGuidelines
>

> Please read through it carefully. As you can see, it is by no means
> complete. That's where you come in! All content, all questions and
> suggestions can be discussed right here. Consider to start new threads
> for specifics. Tell us how you think and feel about this!

As de-facto community lead atm I wanna give this effort a big +1. I
believe This is a great step in the right direction for us.

I do however have a question to throw out there, and forgive me Thorsten
because I've asked in chat already. I just want to pose it for a wider
audience. :)

Do you see this as guiding *all* of what we do, or, just upon a
particular *community decided* idea/theme? Something that can be decided
at the beginning of each cycle or something?

I ask because we shouldn't dictate that people *have* to create by these
rules. I feel that only people that *want* to be involved with the
larger, focused, effort will have to. Yes/No?

-Cory K.