[ubuntu-art] Question on a murrine naming option: your thoughts

Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen mikkel.kamstrup at gmail.com
Tue Sep 16 08:57:24 BST 2008

2008/9/15 Andrea Cimitan <andrea.cimitan at gmail.com>:
> Hi guys,
> I'm trying to improve, where possible, the namings of the murrine
> options of the svn version.
> I prefer to break now rather than after a stable release :)
> You know there's an option, "gradient_shades", that gives the ability
> to adjust the shades operations used in the gradients... but someone
> finds that naming not simple and clear...
> So I'm searching other opinions, to chose something that means the
> same thing but easier to understand.

Speaking of gradient_shades, I have a question...

When I saw the notation for it the first time my immediate intuition
was "man I can just put any number of stops in that list and it'll
work - wicked!". But I couldn't. Looking into the sources I see that
it is hardcoded array of length 4. This makes it impossible to
implement non-symmetric gradients which I think is a shame.

So how do you consider the feasibility of replacing gradient_shades in
the sources with a GArray and then parsing the gradient_shades option
in gtkrc as a list of arbitrary length? Using a GArray instead of a
hardcoded array has overhead of course, but not anything I would
expect to show up in the profiles.

And - this would also keep compatibility with all existing themes.

--
Cheers,
Mikkel