[ubuntu-art] Icon Library

Matthew McGowan matthew.joseph.mcgowan at gmail.com
Mon Sep 15 06:38:17 BST 2008

Ken Vermette wrote:

>  - if possible, an option to click on an icon and replace an
> individual icon (or if it's a link, the linked image)

Hi,

I have begun the process of adding the above requested feature.  I have
uploaded my preliminary attempt to luanchpad, there is a tarball also:
http://launchpad.net/icon-library/trunk/alpha1/+download/icon-library.091508.tar.gz

to run:
python /path/to/icon-library.py

So by preliminary, i mean it!  If you want to test the icon-set editing
stuff i recommend you do it to an icon theme that you don't care about.
So maybe just copy an icon theme into ~/.icons to test with.

There's lots i still have to work through, like how to handle files with
which the user does not have write priveleges and symlinks... etc.

I have a crude backup system, so if you do do something silly the icon
should still be around.  Check your console it'll tell you where its
saved any backups.

##############

The main reason i put this out is that i am hoping to get some
usability/work-flow feedback... e.g. ideally, how would you like to be
able to mix and match icons within an icon set?

Here's what i've got so far in terms of icon-set editing work-flow:

1. Right-clicking on a row in the main icon view produces a popup menu,
saying something like "Edit icon set...".  Selecting it displays the
"Icon Set Editor."
http://picasaweb.google.com/matthew.joseph.mcgowan/IconLibrary#5246106903548004130

2. You will see the entire list of icons in the icon-set, in size
order.   You can select an icon in the series. upon doing so (if you
have write privileges) the "Select replacement icon" button becomes active.
http://picasaweb.google.com/matthew.joseph.mcgowan/IconLibrary#5246106915187572818

3. You can then browse for a replacement icon.
http://picasaweb.google.com/matthew.joseph.mcgowan/IconLibrary#5246106920387581906

4. After selecting a replacement icon, you can then undo and redo your
last change for the selected icon.
http://picasaweb.google.com/matthew.joseph.mcgowan/IconLibrary#5246106928978674994
http://picasaweb.google.com/matthew.joseph.mcgowan/IconLibrary#5246106928978674994

5. Clicking "Apply" _will_  save all changes made to the icon-set, and
will close the editor.

So let me know how this work-flow could be improved.

Regrads,
Matthew