[ubuntu-art] What is the art team?

Who mailforwho at googlemail.com
Thu Sep 11 19:49:24 BST 2008

On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 4:28 PM, Cory K. <coryisatm at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> There really is no proper definition on this.
>
> So in the interest of defining that, here are my thoughts.
>
> What we are not:
>
>    * A team that creates art for the default of Ubuntu.
>

> What we are/should be:
>
>    * A team that creates artwork for community packages to be released
>      in the repos or on disk (not default) as disk size permits.
>

> Anyone have issue with the above?
>
> What do *you* think the definition of the art team is/should be? *If*
> your idea is to make default art, that's not on the table. Now the
> definition I'm trying to get down to should be simple. 1 or 2 sentences.
> What comes out of this discussion will be the official definition of the
> team. So think well about it. :)

I thought about this a while ago, but the post to the list didn't get
much response.

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-art/2008-July/006963.html

I proposed:

"Ubuntu-artwork is a team of people who are interested in making
additional themes for Ubuntu. If you've got an idea for a new look
that could ship alongside the default, or want to work towards
something that you think might one day challenge for the default spot,
then jump in, the water's great. We tend to work in small groups on
themes, so alongside people with a strong vision who can lead a team
we need plenty of others that can work together to help get a great
complete, cohesive look. This involves designers, packagers, GTK+
themeing experts (hey, even QT theme experts are welcome :P) and we
could certainly do with a few more hackers. If you're any of those
things, or think you want to be soon, then you should be at home in
this team.

Oh, and we'd really like you to have a look at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posting_style - we much prefer anyone to
avoid top posting wherever possible on this list. Along with the
reasons at wikipedia, it upsets the aesthetic, and, well, we're an
aesthetic-loving kinda group ;)"