[ubuntu-art] Dust theme implementation

Dylan McCall dylanmccall at gmail.com
Sun Sep 7 20:28:53 BST 2008

> Hey guys. Sorry to resurrect an almost-dying thread, but the Dust theme just
> got a few updates which might be interesting a few people. If anyone's been
> disappointed about it before, maybe now's a good time to give it another
> chance. Will really appreciate some constructive feedback.
>
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Artwork/Incoming/Intrepid/DustTheme
> http://dump.ambiescent.com/i/dust-september-7.png

Sorry? I for one am delighted that you did! :)

The lighter colours definitely help here. It is less distracting and a
bit smoother feeling as a result. Good to have highlights for all
widgets when selected again (before there was no feedback when
selecting checkboxes, buttons or the like). The highlights on the
Murrine version are still the ugly dotted lines, though. Is it
possible to get them more like in the Aurora theme?

Not sold on the shadows for the menu bar. For one thing, most shadows
are working in the other direction, with a bit of shadow on the top
but also much more shadow below and to the right. For another thing,
the menu bar is not always there so we lose the shadow from time to
time. I guess it could be argued that it is not a shadow, but then
perhaps the gradient could be different so it doesn't feel like one.

This theme seems to play with spacing quite a bit, which is
interesting. Noted here is a border area around the scrollbar, which
you can see quite quickly in the Epiphany browser or gedit.
I like the scroll bars in the Murrine theme. In particular, I love how
it looks like a single object instead of having the buttons for arrows
divided from the bar. This looks less distracting and a bit more
logical. It would be less rough of a transition from this to that neat
scrollbar concept where one drags from anywhere.

Speaking of borders, there is a glitch (and has been for a while) with
the folder button at the bottom left with Nautilus in spatial mode.
("Always open in browser windows" unchecked in preferences).

Dark status bar is nice. Part of me wishes it would have a subtle
gradient, but not so that it relies on being at the bottom of a
window.

Address entry in Epiphany has a light grey text colour where it should
be black. Perhaps this is Epiphany's fault, but may be worth looking
into.

Suddenly I am wishing for colour choice with the dark areas. (Not just
black to choose from). Can one of the theme colour choices possibly
influence this?

Bye,
-Dylan